Safety Tips for Using Public Wireless
The Library recommends these safety tips:
- Make sure you're connected to a legitimate wireless access point. The SSID for ours is "publiclibrary".
- Use current legitimate anti-virus and anti-malware (anti-spyware) software with updated definition files.
- Keep your operating system regularly updated with all available security patches.
- Enable (or install, if needed) legitimate personal firewall software for your computer.
- When using web services (including anything you would log into such as
webmail, financial sites, and others), ensure that the site requires a secure
login. Secure logins use the "https" protocol, and are generally indicated by a "lock" icon displayed in your web browser. Secure site logins help prevent electronic eavesdroppers from learning your username and password.
- Encrypt files before transferring or emailing them.
- Use a virtual private network (VPN) if possible.
- Be aware of people around you.
- Turn off file sharing.
- Password-protect your computer and important files.